Discovering a new author is like meeting someone new for the first time. Often when we pick up a book, it’s the story that calls to us first. But we often forget that the first book we read by a new-to-us author is their first impression. It can lead us to the next step in the reader/author relationship (which is devouring all of their backlist, if you’re like me) or moving on to the next book.
If you’re still here, that means I passed the first impression and you are curious to know more about me. Well, I must warn you…
Yes, I am a weirdo. In fact, I think we all are in our own little ways. And that’s okay. What I love about meeting new people is uncovering those little things that make us unique? Like finding out someone is a Riverdale fan. Even better when they tell me they love Jughead Jones. Or discovering that someone I just met reads romance! Oh. My. Gravy. That just makes my day ten million times better.
I love meeting readers and other authors. When that spark of common interest binds us, it’s like winning the lottery! Okay, maybe not that good, but you get the point.
I’ve decided to tell you ten little-known tidbits about me that will explain why I am the way I am…a crazy fangirl romance author.
- Romance is my Jam. When I find time to read, the only fiction I go for is romance. I’m obsessed with romance. Contemporary, historical, time travel, a dash of paranormal here and there. If it’s romance, I’m 100% game. Bring on that HEA/HFN, bonus points for steamy romance with my favorite tropes.
- I’m allergic to cats. A lot of authors I know are cat people. I used to be until I discovered I’m allergic to them. Not deathly allergic, but enough to be uncomfortable in a house with them. Although, I do love cats.
- I love food. My husband and I are foodies. We love to cook together. He normally enjoys coming up with recipes for dinner. I’m more of a dessert kind of girl. So I’m the baker. Tiramisu is my favorite dessert of all.
- I speak German. Not well, but I can muddle my way through it. In high school, I took four years of German, then in college, I had two semesters of German classes. I wish I had more opportunity to speak it. A lot of my family heritage is German, so I decided to pursue it as a way to keep ties to my heritage.
- This girl rarely wears makeup. Seriously, I hardly ever change out of my pajamas and put on a bra most days. So makeup is not something I indulge in. But when I do decide to get all dolled up, I like the 1940s Hollywood glam and 1950s pin-up looks.
- My husband may be Air Force and we may have lived in Alaska, Kentucky, Wyoming, and New Jersey, but I have never traveled internationally. I don’t include my five day drive out of Alaska on the Al-Can Highway through the Canadian wilderness. I can’t wait to get to Europe and do some more research on my family history and find awesome inspiration for my books.
- Tea and Coffee. I love both. Which I pick depends on my mood. Sometimes wine trumps both of these. And no, I don’t care if it’s nine in the morning. If you bring me a large iced caramel macchiato or a wine slushie, I will love you forever.
- Antelope and Jackrabbits are my favorite animals. Which if you combine them, you get the Jackalope, one of my favorite mythical American creatures second only to the Thunderbird. The last six years we lived in Wyoming and I fell in love with both the antelope and jackrabbits. Odd looking creatures they are.
- I. Love. Movies. I’m a film addict. Old black and white classics, modern blockbusters, romantic comedies, 80s comedies, action and adventure flicks, spaghetti westerns, the list goes on and on. I love watching movies. But one of my greatest pleasures is watching natural disaster/end of the world/huge monster demolishing a city movies. I can’t seem to get enough of those, not sure why. I also have a TV show addiction as well: Game of Thrones, Riverdale, Westworld, Murdoch Mysteries, etc. And of course, there’s my love for TV shows that never had a chance to really blossom, Firefly and Moonlight. May they rest in peace.
- Kissing scenes. I live for them. I also rate them on a scale of ice cold to meh to sizzling to hot damn, where’s the cold shower? I should really write an article on the best kissing scenes I’ve ever seen. There’s a thought for a future post.
There you go, ten things about me that explain a little about me. I thought they may shed some light on why I am the way I am, but honestly, I don’t think anything could really explain that.
I’m a lovable ball of weirdo who has her quirks and enjoys the little things in life. Do you have anything in common with me? What do you love that makes you uniquely you? Let me know in the comments.
Until we meet again, may your bookshelves be full and your hearts even more so.
All my love,